305 Railroad Ave Suite 5 Nevada City, CA. (530)265-0186

Residential Care Facility

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs)

A Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE) is a
non-medical housing facility that caters to elder
residents who need assistance with activities of daily
living such as eating, grooming, hygiene, taking
medications, assistance with walking, toileting and other
daily tasks. Such arrangements are usually entered into
by the resident, the resident's guardian, conservator or
other responsible person, but before admission such
placement must be qualified by a physician as an
appropriate placement. This type of housing
arrangement is only appropriate when the resident has
minimal health care issues.  

Typically, 75 percent of the residents who reside in an
RCFE are sixty years of age or older, and varying levels
of care and supervision to each resident, as agreed to at
time of the admission or as determined necessary at
subsequent times of reappraisal. Residents under the
age of sixty are permitted, and are usually individuals
who cannot care for themselves due to developmental or
physical disabilities.

The key distinction between nursing homes and RCFEs is
that, while residents of RCFEs may be unable to live by
themselves, they do not require skilled nursing care.
RCFEs are considered to be non-medical facilities, and
are not required to have nurses, certified nursing
assistants or doctors on staff. Other terms often used to
refer to this level of care are: assisted living facilities,
board and care homes, rest homes and that component
of Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) that
provides attentive personal care and supervision. Those
who require actual skilled nursing care are generally not
permitted for residency at an RCFE.

RCFEs are licensed and supervised by the California
Department of Social Service, Community Care Licensing
Division. RCFEs are listed on the California Department
of Social Services' CCL website,
www.dss.ca.gov which is
updated weekly.

The Phillips Law Group can help if a loved one or family
member has been a victim of elder abuse or neglect. If
you or a family member has been seriously hurt or
injured as a result of elder abuse or elder neglect in a
residential care facility, you may be entitled to seek
compensation by filing a lawsuit under the California
Elder Abuse Act. Contact our firm today for a free
consultation to see if you have a case worth pursuing.