“Immigrant families have integrated themselves into our communities, establishing deep roots. Whenever they have settled, they have made lasting contributions to the economic vitality and diversity of our communities and our nation. Our economy depends on these hard-working, taxpaying workers. They have assisted America in its economic boom.
— Senator Edward M. Kennedy

Family Immigration

Immediate relatives and specific family members of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) may be eligible for an immigration visa if they meet strict standards determined by law.

In general, family-based immigration covers immediate relative family members of U.S. citizens or LPRs. The application process can be “consular-based” or done at the local USCIS office, as an “adjustment of status” case within the United States. The application process is completed by both the applicant and their sponsor in the United States.

Another way to sponsor the immigration of a foreign family members is through IR visa petitions. Under the IR visa category, other “immediate relatives” of the qualified sponsor can petition to immigrate to the US. A spouse of a U.S. citizen, an unmarried child under 21 of a citizen, and a parent of a citizen is known as an “immediate relative” are given priority under U.S. immigration law. The path to legal permanent resident status (green card) is generally faster for immediate relatives.

Our experienced immigration lawyers offer a wide range of family reunification immigration services, including:

  • I-130 petitions ( Non-marital family immigration visas )

  • Adjustment of status (marriage based green card)

  • Consular processing (immigrant visa)

  • Fiancé (K-1) visa

  • Child (K-2) visa

  • Spousal (K-3) visa

  • I-751 petitions and waivers

  • CR-1/ IR-1 visa for the spouse of a U.S citizen

  • IR-2 visa for the unmarried children under 21 years old of a U.S citizen

  • IR-3 visa for children adopted abroad by a U.S citizen

  • IR-4 visa for children to be adopted within the U.S by a U.S citizen

  • IR-5 visa for parents of a U.S citizen who is at least 21 years old

We welcome the opportunity to discuss you or your family’s immigration matter with you. Please contact our office at 530-265-0186 to schedule a confidential no charge consultation or email us with any questions you may have.