“The bosom of America is open to receive not only the Opulent and respected Stranger, but the oppressed and persecuted of all Nations and Religions; whom we shall welcome to a participation of all our rights and privileges…”
— George Washington

Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas give the holder the right to stay in the U.S permanently. Whereas with a non-immigrant visa, the person is required to return to their home country when their visa expires, an immigrant visa does not expire. It allows you to live, work, and study in the U.S or engage in any activity you like.

Just like the U.S non-immigrant visas, there are also several U.S immigrant visa types. They can take on different categories depending on how you get the permanent visa. Foreigners need a "sponsor" in order to get an immigrant visa. There are two types of sponsors:

  1. Family members who are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, and

  2. Employers based in the U.S.

  3. “Merit Based”, based on certain achievements.

Employment-based immigrant visas are divided into five categories:

  1. EB-1 visa: For renowned researchers or professors.

  2. EB-2 visa: For professionals with advanced degrees (or their equivalent) and individuals desired by the U.S. for their extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, or business that will greatly benefit the U.S.'s economy, cultural or educational interests, or welfare.

  3. EB-3 visa: For skilled workers, professionals, and some unskilled workers.

  4. EB-4 visa: For religious workers, broadcasters, military members, Afghan and Iraqi translators, and others.

  5. EB-5 visa: For entrepreneurs and investors.

Family-based immigration visas are either “Immediate Relative” visas or “Family immigrant” visas which means that you are joining your close family who live in the U.S permanently. This can be your parents, fiancé, or spouse. If you have family in the U.S, or you become engaged or married to a citizen, then you are eligible for this category of immigrant visas. They are divided into the following categories:

  1. IR-1, CR-1: Spouse of a U.S Citizen

2. K-1: Fiancé(e) to marry U.S Citizen and live in the U.S

3. K-2: Children of K-1 visa holder

4. K-3: Spouse of a U.S Citizen awaiting approval of an I-130 immigration petition.

5.K-4: Children of K-3 visa holder.

6. IR-3, IH-3, IR-4, IH-4: Inter country Adoption of Orphan Children by U.S Citizens

7. IR-2, CR-2, IR-5, F-1, F-3, F-4: Immediate Family Members of U.S Citizens

8. F-2A, F-2B: Certain Family Members of Lawful Permanent Residents

We welcome the opportunity to discuss you or your family’s immigration matter with you. Please contact our office at 530-265-0186 to schedule a confidential no charge consultation or email us with any questions you may have.