“It says something about our country that people around the world are willing to leave their homes and leave their families and risk everything to come to America. Their talent and hard work and love of freedom have helped make America the leader of the world. And our generation will ensure that America remains a beacon of liberty and the most hope fill society this world has ever known.”
— George W. Bush

Student & Exchange Program Visas

Foreigners seeking to attend an academic institution in the U.S. may be able to travel on an F-1 visa. Foreign students who wish to travel to the U.S. to study in California need an F-1 student visa. The three main requirements for getting an F-1 visa are

  1. getting accepted to an academic institution,

  2. having enough money to pay for tuition and living expenses in the U.S., and

  3. intending on leaving the U.S. after school ends.

The F-1 visa application process costs a total of $360 and takes up to a year. The student's family may be able to live with him/her in the U.S. during school. But everyone needs to leave the U.S. no later than 60 days after school ends.

And foreigners seeking to attend a vocational school in the U.S. may be able to travel on an M-1 visa. Foreigners with M-1 visas may come into the U.S. to attend vocational schools in California. The two main requirements for getting an M-1 visa are

  1. being accepted to a vocational/technical school, and

  2. having sufficient funds to study full-time.

M-1 visas cost a total of $360. Foreigners with M-1 visas must take a full course load and are not allowed to have a job. They have only thirty (30) days to stay in the U.S. after their training ends. 

We welcome the opportunity to discuss you or your family’s immigration matter with you. Please contact our office at 530-265-0186 to schedule a confidential no charge consultation or email us with any questions you may have.