Bicycle Accident Overview
The first automobile crash in the United States happened in New York City in 1896. The automobile crashed into a pedalcyclist. (from Famous First Facts, by Joseph Kane) Today, bicycles on roadways have the same responsibilities and rights as other vehicles. Cycling has become more popular in the United States over the last 20 years.
A 2010 research report about transportation research (Transportation Research Part A by Elsevier) found that cycling has increased in the U.S.. Fortunately, much of this is due to increases in federal, state, and local spending towards promoting cycling, cycling safety programs, and bike lanes and trails. The Rails to Trails Conservancy reported that the total length of bicycle trails increased by 2,044 miles in 1990 to 11,029 in 2000 - and 15,964 in 2010 - and this does not include "mixed use" paths and bike paths in urban areas. In a third of bicycle injuries, the negligence of a motor vehicle driver is the direct cause of bicycle accidents.
In 2015, 818 people lost their lives while bicycling. The vast majority of these incidents were collisions with autos. This statistic represents a 12.2% increase in fatalities over the previous year. Bicycle trips represent just one percent of all trips made in the United States, but account for two percent of all traffic fatalities.
Can I file a lawsuit for my bicycle crash?
If you were injured due to the negligence of another party while riding your bicycle, you can file a lawsuit against the negligent party to recover damages for your property and your injuries - both physical and emotional.
Who are the negligent parties that I can sue?
Negligence can be caused by several different parties:
- Negligent drivers
- Negligent manufacturers, retailers, or distributors of bicycles, bicycle parts, and bicycle accessories
- Negligent City, County, or State entities who are responsible for maintaining safe roadways
- Negligent repair shops
- Negligent property owners
Why do I need a lawyer?
An experienced bicycle injury attorney can conduct an investigation of your case and determine which parties are responsible for your injuries. The skilled bicycle accident attorneys at Phillips Law are committed to aggressively protecting the rights of our clients.
We get results by obtaining the maximum compensation package possible for our clients so that they can have the best possible outcome.
What are some of the causes of bicycle collisions?
Bicycle accidents can be caused by negligent motorists, environmental factors (such as unsafe road conditions), or even dog attacks.
What are some precautions that bicyclists can take?
Bicyclists should do several things to ensure their safety while riding a bike:
- Always wear a helmet. This is absolutely necessary and will save your life if you are involved in an accident.
- Wear a reflective or brightly colored shirt or jacket to ensure that motorists will see you.
- Abide by all traffic laws, using bike lanes whenever possible.
- If you are involved in an accident, make sure that you get all contact information from the motorist as well as any witnesses. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, and contact our firm as soon as possible. Do not talk to any insurance company or accept any settlement. You may not know the extent of your injuries immediately after your accident.